GOTH-OPERA CROONER ANDREW DE LEON GETS CUT FROM ‘AMERICA’S GOT TALENT’

by karen on June 27, 2012

andrew de leon

Andrew De Leon

NBC

Andrew De Leon, the gothed out Marilyn Manson fan who wow’ed ‘America’s Got Talent’ judges with his unique glam meets rock opera audition, has been eliminated from the competition after failing to impress the judges during the show’s Las Vegas round.

De Leon, who wanted “a real freak to win” the entire competition, seemed to be out of his element during the performance causing judge Howie Mandel to ask him what happened. Citing nerves, a dejected De Leon left the stage fearing the worst.

Howard Stern, who once referred to Andrew De Leon as his Susan Boyle, was pretty harsh discussing the performance with the panel of judges, saying, “He hits the stage, he’s the same bundle of nerves, he hasn’t gone out and practiced in front of anyone, he blew it.”

Not everyone seemed to agree with Howard though; Sharon Osbourne came to De Leon’s defense, saying, “We’re judging him very harshly here – he’s such an individual, he’s so unique.”

Since ousting De Leon from the competition, Stern has received a flood of angry messages on Twitter, but he stands by his decision, explaining, “I’m so glad we cut him … In the final analysis, you’re there to be a judge, and it’s a million dollar prize … He really just completely flubbed the audition, and no one was more disappointed than me, to the point that we went back and replayed it 17 times because we were in shock … Everyone said: ‘Our credibility will be out the window if we put him through’…He went from being Susan Boyle…to, almost, Tiny Tim—like, a joke.”

In the clip below from the show, it’s hard to point out exactly where the performance went wrong – while maybe not the best we’ve seen from him it doesn’t seem all that bad?

De Leon, still remains a bit of a mystery, but rest assured, the world hasn’t heard the last of him yet. With the wild card positions still up for grabs, he still has a shot to return to the show, raise his freak flag and compete for the grand prize.

In a post-elimination interview with AGTNews.com, De Leon said, “I definitely want to continue trying to pursue a career in music. I am not sure how I am going to do that yet.” He added that he would jump at the chance to get back on ‘America’s Got Talent’ if offered a wild card position: “It is pretty hard for me to give up on something that I really love. So yeah, if the opportunity came I would definitely take it.”

Watch Andrew De Leon’s Performance on the ‘America’s Got Talent’ Vegas Episode

Listen to Andrew De Leon’s Interview with AGTNews.com

(Original source)

What are your thoughts?  Do you think Andrew De Leon should have gone through?  Leave your comments below.

To Your Success,
andrew de leon

P.S. Please click the “LIKE” button at the top of this post and share with your friends on Facebook. I also love it when you leave a comment and I will attempt to answer each one personally. Thanks and stay inspired!!!

andrew de leon

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Claire June 28, 2012 at 12:38 am

Andrew De Leon should have stay in the competition , he is so unique , i could not wait to see him again . I miss him and definitly stop to watch AGT .
I wish you the best of luck Andrew

karen June 28, 2012 at 12:51 am

Claire,

I agree with you. He should have stayed and he definitely has talent. I am sure we will see more of him in the future.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

~Karen

Jameth June 28, 2012 at 1:11 am

Andrew is my favorite person on AGT and deserved to stay. He is a shy guy and he needs more then one chance to show what he has to show the world. He is my favorite and many others. He will become famous one day and AGT will be kicking themselves in the butt wishing they were the ones to give Andrew the chance to become the famous person he should!

Mickey June 28, 2012 at 1:35 am

Seriously Mr. Stern? Comparing DeLeon toTiny Tim? There is a difference between a male soprano and a falsetto joke, my friend. I am shocked and amazed at the lack of forethought exhibited by the judges. I attended an opera where the famous coloratura Joan Sutherland sat to write a note at her desk, a very tender moment. The air conditioner in the concert hall blew the candles out and knocked them over. When the signer, who stood a good six feet two inches and had a queenly figure, got up to get away from the mess, her voluminous skirts got stuck under the seat. She signaled the Maestro: shall we try this again? And he DID. Were it that the judges in this case had had the same tact. I hope that Andrew DeLeon skims over this event and favors us with many many more performances. The opera world is aching for a good male soprano and DeLeon is just the young artist that could fill the void given a chance to shine.

karen June 28, 2012 at 2:17 am

Jameth,

I totally agree with you! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

Be blessed,

Karen

karen June 28, 2012 at 2:19 am

Mickey,

Wow, yes that shows that life happens and we need to be understanding which I believe the judges were not. I too hope he continues on. I love his courage and he is an inspiration to many.
Thanks for your comment. I appreciate you stopping by!

~Karen

Merrigan June 28, 2012 at 6:39 pm

They put Big Barry through, yet Howard is concerned what putting Andrew through would do to the credibility of the show? Say what?

Heather S. June 28, 2012 at 11:47 pm

I’ve started a petition to try to bring him back as a Wild Card. Sign and pass it on :-) I’m hoping to deliver some good news of a BUNCH of signatures to have his cousin pass on to him!

karen June 29, 2012 at 12:02 am

Merrigan,

Yeah, what is up with that? I agree with you!

Karen

karen June 29, 2012 at 12:04 am

Thanks Heather!!!

Carolyn June 30, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Thanks for writing about this. I replayed his initial audition about 100 times- he so inspired me…with his humiliy, talent, and courage. I needed that inspiration in my life at that particular moment and those qualities reminded me what we as human beings are capable of when we just take that first step.
I think`those`things should have been rewarded with a second chance… and some constructive comments the first time( like practise in front of audiences etc.) I `loved`how he `felt`the music and he sang the first time from his soul. We need more of this instead of some of the lackluster ones they put through.

He really touched my heart and spirit with his voice and how he interpreted the music – I hope he gets the wild card slot.

karen July 1, 2012 at 5:30 pm